Monday, February 23, 2009

I'M PROGESTERONE DEFICIENT!!!

Disclaimer: Men, if you are not comfortable with the word cycle in relation to women, do not read this.

I have noticed for several months now that there seem to be two sides of me. For half of the month I feel normal, in control of myself and my life. I feel like me. Motivated, productive, happy. For the other half of the month, I feel awful. I feel out of control. I feel weak, grumpy, short-fused, and like I can't handle my life. I get discouraged easily and have a hard time with focus. I have eliminated all but the essentials (school & church) trying to stay healthy but I have still struggled a lot. I couldn't think of one more activity/responsibility that I could get rid of.

About 6 weeks ago, I started to think that maybe something was wrong with me physically - a chemical imbalance of some sort. It didn't feel like only a mental battle. I feel like I know how to manage my mental thoughts to avoid feeling down but this felt different. It felt like something was off. I felt out-of-whack. Thanks to Oprah's shows on hormones, I started researching hormones. I came up with the theory that maybe I didn't have enough progesterone (the calming hormone). I went to a gynecologist that specializes in hormone replacement a month ago. He decided to test my hormones to see if they could find something. We had to wait until day 21 of my cycle. In the meantime I broadened my theory. Because of so much emotional stress (with moving and the challenges of Bob's job), I think I have stopped ovulating. And since I am not ovulating, my body is not making enough progesterone. I am not being naturally calmed (at least for part of my cycle) and this makes life for everyone difficult during this time.

Today was my lab follow-up with the gynecologist. He confirmed my theory. I am very deficient in progesterone. (My other levels looks fine.) My progesterone level should be at least a 10 and it is 1.9. I am thrilled! For awhile, I thought I was going crazy. It is SO comforting and reassuring to know that I am not out-of-control but simply out of balance inside. I am going to start using a natural progesterone cream once/day for the last half of my cycle. I am very hopeful that this simple treatment will help mellow me out and get my body on its way to working well again. I am so relieved and hopeful now. I'll update to let you know if the treatment works. I'm pretty sure it will.

P.S. From what I have read, a lot of women become progesterone deficient around age 30. If you think you might be, do some research and get tested.

4 comments:

Coordination Queen said...

I'm glad you figured that out. Right now all I can blame my craziness on is pregnancy hormone fluctuations. And I'm glad you don't have to do shots... because those hurt. I'll have to keep an eye on my levels after this pregnancy is over.

Nichol Family said...

Tasha, I am so happy to hear this. I can't wait to hear how the cream works for you. It makes me wonder what my proesterone level is.

Jenna said...

I am so glad that you found something out that was easy to take care of. No doubt that this was something that was off in me when we were trying for our Grace. It's amazing the things that our bodies go through! Thanks for sharing and hope that things get better.

Denise said...

way to go dr. tasha! Glad you figured out what was going on and I hope your treatment works for you.