Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Musical rooms...

Last year I witnessed my friend Brandy change up the sleeping situation in her house regularly. She had 3 kid bedrooms and an office that she reconfigured many times as the sleeping needs of her 4 kids changed. She would get it all arranged only to change it a few months later as things changed with her growing kids.

I feel like I'm mirroring her. I think I've got things all figured out only to have them change. Here is what has transpired so far. Before we moved into this house, each of the kids had their own room. They seemed happy that way. We have 3 kid bedrooms in this house, so I planned one for each of the kids. I bought some things to decorate and painted the rooms accordingly. This was the plan.

Room 1 - Pinkish Red with pink and white - Allie - white twin bed
Room 2 - Tan with greens and browns - Caden - twin bed
Room 3 - Light blue with brown and bright blue - Parker - queen bed

Soon after we moved in, Caden was not sleeping in his room. He would either be on the floor in our room or on the floor in Parker's room. We decided to go ahead and put his bed in with Parker and they have enjoyed sharing a room to sleep. Luckily the quilt I bought him had a green and brown side so we use the brown side to match Parker's brown quilt. Caden's clothes and laundry basket were still in room 2 and we still called it his room.

In anticipation of the baby and to ease the laundry situation, I moved all of Caden's clothes into Parker's room making it even more of a shared room. Until recently this is what the rooms looked like.

Room 1 - Allie's room

Room 2 - Legoland (and there are a LOT of Legos), extra furniture storage (2 dressers, our old kitchen/craft table, a brown recliner, and our old coffee table), and future nursery.I think these pictures were taken when all my family was gone for the week. Usually the floor and all hard surfaces of this room are covered with Lego stuff.

Room 3 - Boy's room with a twin and queen bed and upright dressernow this is the floor that is covered in Lego love

So this weekend the boys decided to move all of the Legos into their bedroom. There is not a lot of room to play in this room with their two beds taking up so much space. This probably needs to be permanent home to their Lego collection and so we are trying to figure out how to make it work. Here is our plan.

Room 1 - Allie's room - this probably would have made the best place for the nursery but that would require more work than I am willing to put in especially if we have another boy - besides it is the only room in the house that has actually been fully decorated.
Room 2 - future nursery/guest room - queen bed and crib in here - get rid of one dresser and the old table
Room 3 - buy another twin bed, maybe bunk beds and turn this fully into the BOYS room - Legos and all

It is crazy to me that things are changing so much. I've made plans for years about kids' bedrooms that haven't always worked out. I've bought things in anticipation that ended up being wasted or used differently than I imagined. I wonder how long this new arrangement will work out for us. Is it normal to change so much?

1 comment:

Brandy said...

I always like to change things especially when I want something new and can't afford to do so. It helps to put off my wants for awhile!