After that we do a few chores - cleaning the kitchen, unloading or loading the dishwasher, folding some laundry, etc.
By about 10 or 11 o'clock people are starting to melt down and fight so we pack up and head to the pool. We can walk to the pool now so we do - usually the little girls ride in the wagon.
Sometimes we bring lunch to the pool but mostly we bring snacks and then head home for lunch. I have been having one of the kids help me plan all our meals for the week including breakfast and lunch. The kids like looking at the menu to know what to have for lunch. We've been eating a lot of salads and fresh fruit this summer. The kids have been earning 1 cream puff for every serving (handful) of fruit they eat in the week. We keep track on a chart on the fridge and they indulge in many cream puffs on the weekend. It has been a great motivator for grabbing fruits and veggies when we are hungry.
After lunch we have rest time. Sage takes a nap and usually I do to. Sydney naps occasionally. The big kids go to separate rooms and work on their "chores" - reading, writing, typing, etc. Syd will play in her room and look at books.
There is usually a lull in the afternoons. Sometimes they watch a little tv or play electronics. The boys have been playing a lot of games together - monopoly, stratego and others.
Then it's dinner time and clean up dinner time. We try to have family scriptures and prayer at this point. Then we start working on putting the little girls to bed - Sydney is pretty tired at this point if she hasn't had a nap. They prefer that I read to them and put them to bed whih I usually do. Bob reads to the boys and plays Rook with them a lot - they are learning a lot. Allie and I are reading a book together so most nights I read to her as well. Then I stay up way too late working on family history stuff, try to read for a bit when I get to bed (bob often stirs with the light and voices his displeasure with my late night reading), and then get some sleep.
School starts in 3 weeks and the big kids are in Utah for the next 2. As usual summer is going by way too fast!














No comments:
Post a Comment