Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Mother's Day...

There were some good moments this Mother's Day and some not-so-good moments. Sydney and I went to church for the last two hours. She didn't want to go to Primary so she stayed with me and we had some one-on-one time. She loved it and I thought it was nice too. The little girls made cards and presents for me at school and church which were really sweet. Parker needed some help on his math homework so we did that and ate together in the afternoon. I enjoyed having that individual time with them.

It is hard when there is no husband/father/man instigating nice happenings for Mother's Day. In some ways, I think it would be easier if the holiday and associated expectations didn't exist. I tried to set my expectations low and do a few things to pamper myself but there was a still a sad, down moment in the afternoon. My teenagers were very much wrapped up in themselves on Sunday and didn't really make any efforts to be kinder or more helpful to me. They are tired and had a busy Saturday with band banquet (which I used up energy I didn't have to help them get ready for...ugh). I was really drained this weekend and really would have appreciated a break that I didn't get. That's part of single mom life I guess (and married mom life for many too).

I did send and receive texts from some of the women that help me mother my children. Those messages were a light to me this week and I want to include some of them here. This mothering work is not easy and this year has been especially challenging with my work and my commute and subsequent lack of time and energy. I hope the things I do will outweigh the things I fail at. I'm pretty sure my kids know they are loved and I hope that is enough.

From my friends:

"You're such a great mom! I love watching the sweet connection you have with your girls."

"Happy Mother's Day to you, too! You do a marvelous job and have WONDERFUL children who are always a pleasure to be around."

"Love your kids! Love you too! Happy Mother's Day to you-you are amazing. I am in awe of all you do every day for your family. You are a mother with all capital letters! Your children know they are loved and it is obvious they love and adore you!"

"Happy Mother's Day Natasha. You are an incredible example to me of motherhood and selfless service and love for your children and those in your life. It's very apparent by all you do and strive for every day."

No comments: