Friday, September 29, 2017

Busy Life...

I knew this year would be difficult but I did not anticipate it being as hard in some ways as it is. Here are some details of life now that I am a full-time working, single parent.

I got a job teaching 5th grade math at a charter school (IL Texas) 45 minutes away. I listen to podcasts and lots of music on Amazon music on the long daily commute. The girls listen to audio books most of the time and music sometimes. The girls come to school with me but the big three are staying at their schools.

I wake up somewhere between 4 and 4:30 to make the morning happen. I read scriptures for a few minutes first thing and on good days I try to fit in a quick 10-15 walk (where I remind myself that I AM strong and capable). I shower everyday but only wash my hair once every three days (which doesn't seem like much since most of my life I have washed my hair daily.) I drive Allie to a friend's house at 5:30 who she rides with to seminary and then school. The little girls wake up at 5:45 and we try to leave the house between 6:15 and 6:30 (they usually eat breakfast and put their shoes on in the car). We drop Caden off at the church 30 minutes before his seminary starts as we head to work/school. He rides with his friends from seminary to school.

Parker is living with Bob right now and Bob takes him to school each day. He comes here after school (either on the bus or with a friend) and stays until Bob picks him up at 5:30. Most days I don't see him because I don't get home until after he has left. He hangs out with me on Thursday evenings and I usually help him with his math homework and catch up on his life.

I try to arrive at work 7:15AM and I'm late after 7:30. I have kids in class at 7:45. It's nice if I'm there earlier but that is not really possible with our tight morning routine.
I leave work around 5 or 5:30PM and get home around 6. The girls and I have to pick up the big kids from marching band around 7PM after a quick stop at home. Freezer-to-crockpot meals that my mom made have been saving us. Weekends without the kids save my sanity and allow me to rejuvenate too.

I like where I work. I like the kids I teach. I want to help all of the kids but there are a lot of struggling learners and I haven't figured that all out yet. It is a very demanding job but I am figuring out some things as I go. I didn't bring any papers home to grade this weekend because I have been able to grade at work this week (something that didn't happen in the first six weeks). There is still work I need to do this weekend to prep for next week but at least there is no grading.

Every week night I go to bed before my high schoolers. All three of us are very tired almost all the time. Even the little girls look forward to sleeping in on the weekends. I drink a Coke in the morning daily since I started working. I have been proud of myself for not needing caffeine in the past and I have accepted that this phase of life REQUIRES it. : )

Food habits: Smoothie with protein powder, frozen berries, banana and orange juice for first breakfast

Coke and KIND granola bar for 2nd breakfast (around 9:15 when I have my conference time at work).

Lunch from home - crackers with meat and cheese stick, Pirates Booty and fruit usually - I love the Amy's gluten free frozen meals too and sometimes I take those.

After school snack while I drive home - Omega-3 nut and dried fruit trail mix that I bag up in advance and pack with my lunch

I weigh less than I have since high school. I guess stress and grief will do that to you.

No comments: